Monday, March 27, 2017

February 23, 2017 - Orange Park & Jacksonville, FL

This morning I managed to get all the tax documents together, saved them to a flash drive, so I can go to Staples and make hard copies for the tax preparer.  

We had plenty of time before Erwin’s medical appointment at 10:45 am, so we went to Staples first.  The printing machine accepts USB and I was able to plug in the flash drive to retrieve the files I wanted to print.  However, for unknown reasons, the machine refused to print out a few files, but finished the others. 

From Staples we went to Income Tax office to see if Michelle, our favorite tax preparer, was available to do our tax return.  When we walked in she acknowledged our presence, reached our her hand to take documents I had.  We told her that Erwin had an appointment, and she said she will do as much as she can until we get back.
Tax preparer's office
Erwin had a follow-up appointment with Dr. Jason for his foot.  After a quick examination and fielding some questions Dr. Jason recommended another cortisone shot.  Afterwards, the assistant placed a temporary splint that had to be left on for three days.  Dr. Jason wanted Erwin to come back in 2 weeks, and when told that we will be out of town until next year he shook our hands and wished us well on our journey.
We went back to the Income Tax office, and Michelle was waiting for two more documents that I did not have hard copies for.  I saved tax documents in PDF and they were in iBooks.  So easy for Michelle to follow and copy the information.  After about 20 minutes she was all done with our tax return, had us signed the forms and e-filed the returns immediately.  

It was close to noontime when we left the Income Tax office and we were in mood for gyros or shwarma.  We went to Karam's on University Blvd.  We had one platter of meat shawarma with three spinach pies and three dolmades (stuffed grape leaves).  They were very good and the portion was just right for us.
From top (clockwise): Shwarma, tabouleh and dolmades
Spinach pies
I needed to pick up my new glasses that had to be re-done and it is in Orange Park.  On way there we stopped at General RV to buy 3 tubes of self-leveling caulk that we need to patch up cracks and holes.
It was not a long wait at Dr. Carvell’s office.  I decided to stick with the old RX for my glasses and the new lens will be sent back to the lab.  Ahh, no scratches and no permanent smears on the new lens.  

We stopped by to see Marilyn about the mail. “No mail”, she said.  Erwin was starting to get worried because it had been over a week.  We told Marilyn that if she gets the mail after we hit the road to send the mail to our friend in TX.

We stopped at Hala Imported store on University Blvd to get a bag of bulgur (cracked wheat). It is hard to find bulgur in #1 anywhere because most places tend to sell #2 or #3.  #1 is very fine and is perfect for kibbee and tabouleh. I also picked up a small jar of grape leaves because I will want to fix stuffed grape leaves sometimes soon.  Erwin was born with a sweet tooth and had to have something sweet. He picked up a small tray of baklava ($10.99).  I got me 5 packages of walnut mamool (pastry filled with chopped walnuts) for $1.79 each.
Bakery 
We shopped at Freshfield Farms again to pick up few more that we did not get yesterday.  I really love this store.  It carries lots of organic produce.  It was not crowded when we were there.
After getting back home the office assistant came over to let us know that there was no space available for this weekend.  That meant we leave for the West tomorrow morning instead of Sunday, the 26th.
Erwin went up to the rooftop to re-seal the openings, etc.  It was a good thing it did not rain when he did that. It rained briefly when we were on way back to the campground from Freshfield Farms.
I had a hard time deciding if I should go to San Marco for sunset photoshooting, but after checking the sky once in a while I decided not to go.  


Oh my! I had forgotten how delicious the walnut mamool tasted.  Just like what my parents made when I was young.  Erwin said the baklava was good, but little dry.

We went out for a walk around the RV park, checked out site #24 that was our "home" for two and half years after we moved down to Jacksonville from Maryland in 2004.

~Edith

No comments:

Post a Comment