Wednesday, March 30, 2016

March 12, 2016 - Sulphur, LA to Montgomery, TX

Very cloudy morning.  Thank goodness it did not rain and that made it easier to get our Lil’ Home (LH) ready for road trip.  

After breakfast we left Hidden Ponds RV Park at 9:45 am.  Back on I-10 W to Beaumont, TX which took little more than an hour drive.

The weather started to get better, still lots of clouds, but we can see the blue sky, which is good. Not much traffic going on I-10 W.

We got to TX state line at 10:15 am, pulled into Texas Welcome Center to pick up brochures and maps. 

We took several selfies with TX state sign and Lone Star sculpture.  Judy, the rep, was very helpful, gave us many tips on places to visit that are more geared to our interests.  We left the center with a bag filled with brochures and maps.  There is a nice boardwalk to see the forested wetland. There are alligators and Great White Egret, named Henrietta (Judy mentioned that it has been frequenting the area for several years).  There were two bull frogs and one western cottonmouth snake in the water. We spent a good 30 minute strolling along the boardwalk. 

Goofing around!
We made it to TX!

Edith's bite was worse than the turtle's!


Texas Welcome Center
We got back on I-10 W from the Welcome Center and were on way to Beaumont, TX. Grey clouds started to build up.  Rained hard but by the time we reached Vidor, TX there was a sky break.

I-10 W Bridge Construction
There were few road constructions in Beaumont, TX. We arrived Super Walmart on Dowlen Road because it allows overnight stay at the parking area.  Before we unhooked the Jeep we wanted to go inside Walmart to check something out.  While walking by the salon there were two ladies outfitted in black aprons standing at the entrance.  Erwin asked Edith if she would like to get an haircut while here.  She pondered for a while, then asked how much it is for just haircut. $15.. Ok, fine... Brittany was assigned to cut her hair. She worked very fast and did a great job. Edith was pleased with how her hair turned out.  Leaving the store she did not feel like a sheepdog that had to peer through when the hair is long.

Before haircut
She looked tired?

Edith had a list of places to visit while staying in Beaumont.  We would need the Jeep to get around, so we unhooked it from the LH.  Edith pulled it back from the LH, steered it to go around, but noticed that something was not right.  It was rocking improperly.  Erwin checked it out and then decided that we should not drive it.  
We contacted our friends, Patty and Paul, about the Jeep's situation. Since Beaumont is less than 2 hours from where they live we decided to go to Conroe, TX, get a campsite at KOA.

We arrived Conroe KOA at 4:25 pm, got site #89. The campground is huge, has a large playground, indoor pool, entertainment hall.  We are staying here for 3 nights.  Since all automotive shops are closed on Sundays we had to wait until Monday to call and see if one of them can take our Jeep in for service.

Edith went out to take pictures of the setting sun, and about 15 minutes later Patty and Paul came over to meet us, took a tour of our LH. Then we went with them to their house, about a mile and half away.  

We spent the night chatting and catching up on news.  Not exactly a great day, but nothing too serious to ruin it.  Let's hope that there is nothing major wrong with the Jeep and that it can be repaired without costing us an arm and a leg.  We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment