Sunday, August 16, 2015

July 16, 2015 - Little Rock, AR

It was a beautiful morning. The view of Little Rock skyline was very welcoming.  It was already HOT at 8:30 am.

After breakfast we set out to explore some attractions in and outside of Little Rock, AR

First stop was to check out this Roundtop Gas Station.  It sits in the middle of the intersection of  Roundtop and Trammel Rd. in Sherwood, AR. It is no longer in business. The city owns the property and is trying to turn it into a police station.

On way to Little Rock downtown we went by this "graveyard" of old rusty vehicles.  

Edith wanted to check out the cemetery, so Erwin dropped her off there and went elsewhere to kill time because he knew it will be a long while before she is through with taking pictures.  However, it was VERY hot that sweats got in her eyes too many times and she decided to call it off after taking few pictures.

Next stop was to go by the Governor's mansion. There is a bust of President William Clinton inside the property.

We were starting to get hungry and decided we were going to have lunch at Juanita's Mexican. On way there we drove by the state capitol.

After driving around and around to find a parking space near the River Market District we finally found one. We walked about 5-6 blocks to Juanita's, but found it closed.  It used to be open for lunch and we ate there a couple years ago.  We were so disappointed because we were really in mood for Mexican dishes.  So, we kept on walking and walking until we spotted a restaurant.  It was during lunchtime, and it is never a good idea to try to find a restaurant in a crowded area anywhere!

After lunch we drove to Little Rock National Cemetery.  Edith thought she saw information that a Confederate spy was buried there, but it turned out it was the wrong cemetery.  Since we were already there we drove around to see if there were any interesting tombstones, monuments, etc.  We found a few.

Before we called it a day we wanted to check out Old Mill at T.R. Pugh Memorial Park.  It was built in 1933; designed to look old so it would appear as if it was built the 1800s.  The building appears in the opening scene of the classic 1939 film Gone with the Wind and is believed to be the only building remaining from the film.  The scenery is very beautiful and relaxing. There are ponds, streams, walkways.

We had given up on sightseeing for rest of the afternoon because it had gotten too hot.

We spent the late afternoon and night relaxing at the campground.

No comments:

Post a Comment