Wednesday, July 18, 2018

May 17, 2018 - Provo, Herber City & Genola, UT

I had few roadside attractions on the list that I wanted to check out before we visit Heber City, UT, which is about 55 miles from Genola.

First attraction was to see vintage gas station signs that are inside a private property, but the signs were clearly visible from the road.

Second attraction was the world’s largest blender (not a real one) at Blendec headquarters. We incidentally have a blender by Blendec in our Lil'Home.
We checked out the Provo Downtown Historic District.  The district is composed of four blocks of Center Street (between 100 East to 300 West). There many old historical buildings of which many are still in use for businesses. Most of the buildings were built between 1880 and 1930.

We went inside Harris Hearing Aid Center because I read that there are stuffed Polar Bears in the store.  How did I know about it? Thanks to Roadside America app that I often check whenever I travel.
The original skull of Woolly Rhinoceros
that was displayed in the store 
There is a camera shop, not too far from historic Provo downtown that I wanted to check out.  I wanted to see Sony mirrorless cameras because I have read so many great reviews about them.  They are much lighter than what I have now. At that time I was not too sure about trading my Canon 80D in for Sony A6300.  Anyway, the store was out of the product I was looking at.  The sales lady told us that there is another Allen camera store in Orem that we could go by and check.
Say "Cheese"
After picking up the product I needed at the Orem camera shop we went to Heber City, UT. Last year Erwin’s niece, Phoebe told us about this town, and we were on way to visit it when we had a flat tire at Bridal Veil Falls and, after a tire change, we turned around a s went back home. 

We had lunch at The Hub, a local restaurant. Erwin wanted breakfast and I had bacon, lettuce & tomato sandwich. To satisfy Erwin’s sweet tooth he had a piece of fresh made strawberry pie.
A restored Airstream trailer, parked in front of the office, caught our eyes. We wanted to check it out and see what they are doing to restore old Airstream trailers.  There were like over 30 trailers in the back lot waiting to be restored.  Few trailers were in the shop being worked on when we walked about.  
We cruised through the town, stopped at Historic Railroad. You can buy tickets to board on a train and ride for an hour and half.  There were old train cars on display.  We will come back here another time to go ride on the train.
We browsed around the town checking out some interesting places and sculptures before we left to go back to Genola.
After getting back home I cooked lemon chicken and steamed artichokes (they were HUGE). We then went over to talk with Phoebe for a while. She and her girls were working on planting flowers in pots. 

The clouds above the mountains looked threatening and the winds started to pick up. We thought it was going to rain tonight, but it did not.


~Edith


No comments:

Post a Comment